EVERYTHING YOU SHOULD KNOW ABOUT MTP KITS
Abortion means safety. Means control. . Means equality . Means human rights 67% of abortions in India between 2007 and 2011 were unsafe and is still a continuing crisis due to lack of awareness and stigma surrounding abortion. MTP(Medical Termination of Pregnancy) Act was passed in 1971 in India. An amendment to it was made in 2021.The purpose of MTP act was to prevent illegal and unsafe abortions, to lower death rate among women due to unsafe abortions. It was applicable to married woman who wanted to opt for an abortion for pregnancies between 20 and 24 weeks. In a historic Supreme court’s judgement recently, it allowed single women to undertake abortion in case of pregnancies upto 24 weeks. The court also stated that marital rape though not covered under IPC can be included in the ambit of MTP Act apart from victims of rape and sexual abuse from known persons (family members).
Medical and surgical abortions are the two methods usually adopted for abortion. In cases related to medical abortion, MTP kits are very beneficial and are used widely after proper consultation with a Registered Medical Practitioner (RMP). MTP kits play a vital role for women dealing with unwanted pregnancies and those who lack a proper access to advanced healthcare system. MTP kit is an effective method to terminate a pregnancy without any severe consequences.
MTP kit contains two medicines, viz. Mifepristone and Misoprostol. A medical abortion is carried out using these medicines. MTP kit is used to cause an abortion during the early stages of a pregnancy. It is used up to week 10 of pregnancy only as advised by the doctor.
ACCOUNTABILITY OF MTP KIT
- A Registered Medical Practitioner only can prescribe an MTP kit according to the MTP Act.
- Central drugs standard control organization is the nodal agency that approves the combination of medicines.
MTP KIT FOR BEGINNERS
Medicines contained in the kit are taken in two ways, orally (Mifepristone) and Vaginal (Misoprostol) route. An abortion is caused when these two medicines are taken simultaneously. Women should refrain from using the medicine on their own as unknown usage without proper consultation might have severe consequences. Doctor’s advice is the crucial part in smooth functioning of the medicine. Medicines are to be taken with food or after the meal. Mifepristone is the first dose to be taken. Medicines are to be taken as it is. It is taken orally by swallowing the tablets whole with a glass full of water. The medicines usually take 24-48 hours to show its efficacy.
After 36-48 hours, take Misoprostol tablet. Severe stomach pain and vaginal bleeding can be experienced eventually causing an abortion. One should follow the advice of doctor thoroughly as the dosage of the medicine depends upon the age, weight and medical history of the patient.
COMMON SIDE EFFECTS OF MTP KIT
The medicines will cause some side effects and some of them may not require any medical attention. Effects will start to disappear as the body adjusts to the dosage, but if the problem persists, one must consult their doctor without any delay and avoid a lacklustre attitude. Some of the common side effects of MTP in most cases are;
Nausea, Vomiting, Diarrhoea, Stomach pain, Contractions in the uterus, Heavy bleeding that doesn’t stop, Minor Headache, Dizziness, Problem in urinating, Weakness of the body, Pain in the abdomen, Loss of appetite.
PRECAUTIONS WHILE USING MTP KIT
Medical history and allergies are important factors that one should not neglect and inform the doctor right at the beginning. The consulting doctor should be informed about any medicines that one may be taking as it can have side effects and may reduce the effectiveness of the abortion pills. Inform the doctor if any doubt regarding the medicine arises. Precautions that should be taken before using MTP kit are;
- Lactating mothers are not at all advised to use the medicine.
- Those with heart ailment should not use the medicine or must consult their doctor before taking the medication.
- Consumption of alcohol or drug intake (any of the banned substances) should be avoided as it may have adverse side effects on the body.
- The medicine is not at all recommended for pregnant women who are in their later stages of pregnancy. Please follow the instructions given by the doctor to avoid any complications.
- Driving is not advisable as the body needs proper rest.
- Those with kidney or liver diseases should consult their doctor before the medication.
- High blood pressure is another thing which should be kept in mind.
- One should avoid doing works which may feel heavy on the body.
ADVANTAGES OF MTP KIT
1. Abortion is carried out in a safe environment which makes one comfortable with their body.
2. Medicines do not inflict any severe problems on the body apart from the side effects which is common in most cases.
3. MTP kit provides a woman the right to bodily autonomy.
4. Since the kit is used in early stages of pregnancy, further complications can be avoided.
WHO SHOULD AVOID MTP KIT?
1. Ectopic pregnancy cases in woman (pregnancy in which the embryo attaches outside the uterus).
2. Allergies to medicines used for abortion which needs prior consultation and tests done by the doctor.
3. Women who live in remote areas or do not have access to emergency care.
CONSEQUENCES IF TAKEN WITHOUT PROPER CONSULTATION
- Abortion that remains incomplete: It is one of the most serious consequences and can turn fatal if not given an emergency care.
- Incessant bleeding
- Infection which can be severe.
Every woman has the right to decide what is right for them and society should stop judging them for their own bodily decisions. It is time to set aside the inhibitions relating to abortion and give women the right to a dignified life as embodied in most of the moral ethos of different economies.