USES, SIDE EFFECTS AND MEDICATIONS FOR MIFEPRISTONE
A woman’s most precious day is when she gives birth to a new life. It gives a new dimension to them. Months of suffering and pain turn into an enchanting experience and an endeavour to relish upon in the name of motherhood. This scenario can change in case of an unwanted pregnancy when a woman is not ready. Mental peace is needed to undergo a safe pregnancy. Married or single women, there should be no discrimination on the rights of women to decide what is right for her body. A woman is entitled to her bodily autonomy and society should not dampen that right. If a woman is not ready for pregnancy, it is her right to opt for an abortion irrespective of the societal constraints.
Abortion can either be surgical or medical ones. Medical abortion is done with the help of two tablets, Mifepristone & Misoprostol after proper consultation with a Registered Medical Practitioner (Gynaecologist).
ALL ABOUT MIFEPRISTONE
Mifepristone acts by blocking the effects of Progesterone. It is a natural female hormone that sustains the pregnancy. Uterus lining breaks down in the absence of progesterone as in the case of menstrual cycle and thus helps in the termination of pregnancy. Mifepristone is to be used only in cases when the pregnancy is between seven to nine weeks, usually counted from the first day of the last menstrual period. One can buy Mifepristone easily online after due consultation with their doctor. Always check the label and if in doubt, one should not hesitate to show it to their doctor.
USES OF MIFEPRISTONE
- Medical termination of early pregnancy by blocking the natural female hormone progesterone.
- It does not have any implications on the fertility of a woman and there’s the same chance of getting pregnant compared to those who haven’t taken the medicine.
HOW TO USE MIFEPRISTONE?
- The medicine should be taken no longer than nine weeks into pregnancy.
- 200 mg Mifepristone is taken orally followed by Misoprostol tablet which eventually results in the termination of pregnancy.
- Mifepristone can be taken with or without food. Do not chew or crush the tablet and is to be taken with a glass full of water.
- Misoprostol is taken usually 24-48 hours after the administration of Mifepristone. The effectiveness of the medication will lower if Misoprostol is taken before 24 or 48 hours after the administration of Mifepristone. Combination of Mifepristone and Misoprostol leads to the medical termination of pregnancy.
SIDE EFFECTS OF MIFEPRISTONE
With the benefits of the medicine comes along some of the side effects. One may not need to consult their doctor for all but some side effects will need medical attention. One may or may not experience vaginal bleeding after administering Mifepristone. You should consult the doctor immediately if vomiting is experienced within 45 minutes of taking the medicine. You will need to take one more medicine if such a situation arises.
Some of the side effects that need to be consulted are;
- Heavy vaginal bleeding: Bleeding may occur and the body will start adjusting to the side effects of the medicine after some days. If heavy bleeding is experienced even after 14 days of taking Mifepristone, it can be an indication of incomplete abortion.
- Shortness of breath: Breathing difficulties must be consulted with their doctor.
- High fever: High fever can lead to infection and can be prevented with due advice of the doctor.
- Extreme tiredness and weakness: One should avoid physical activities that can strain the body.
- Chest pain
- Heavy cough
- Back pain
- Difficulty in urination
Apart from the serious one’s, there are side effects that don’t need a medical attention but should not be taken lightly. The side effects tend to fade away as the body adjusts to the medicine. Always stay in touch with your doctor and follow the guidelines provided by them as it will help reduce the intensity of the side effects with proper precaution. Some of the common side effects are;
- Stomach pain or uterine cramping
- Vomiting or Nausea
- Runny nose
- Pain during sexual intercourse
- Itching around the vagina
- Trouble in sleeping
- Increased white vaginal discharge
- Difficulty in digestion
- Light headedness
PRECAUTIONS BEFORE TAKING MIFEPRISTONE
- The medicine should be taken only as per the guidelines given by the doctor. One should not self-medicate as incomplete abortion can lead to severe complications like hospitalization and even surgery.
- Expulsion will start in most of the cases within 2 to 24 hours after taking Misoprostol. Those who are taking the medication should be at a safe place so as to undergo a safe abortion.
- Driving should be avoided as the medication will make you dizzy and weak.
- After 14 days of Mifepristone, the gynaecologist will perform an ultrasonography to confirm whether the termination of pregnancy is successful or not.
- Vaginal bleeding or spotting is experienced in most of the cases for about 9 to 16 days. One should be ready to experience heavy bleeding for at least 2 days. In some cases, vaginal bleeding may also extend up to 30 days.
- Women with heart ailment or high blood pressure must inform the doctor about the same before starting the treatment.
Once pregnancy is detected, the first thing one should do is consult a gynaecologist and avoid taking self-medication as it can have severe effects. The doctor will ask you details about your medical history and accordingly perform some tests before starting the treatment. Medical abortion can bring some kind of anxiety but one should not worry as the process can be done in a professional manner. Make sure you keep yourself in a positive state of mind. Mifepristone and Misoprostol are available easily online and can be purchased after due consultation with the doctor. MTP kits price starts at 6 to 7$ and can go up according to various manufacturers. Believe in your decisions and find happiness in what you do with your life.